What is the best environment for training?
05 October 2018
The George Lucas-funded Educational Programme (yes really, Mr Star Wars) notes that ‘The Physical structure of a classroom is a critical variable in affecting student morale and learning’
We’ve all been there – sent for a training course or a management briefing to a windowless airless hotel conference room. You spend the first ten minutes wondering what the strange smell is. Then the next ten minutes is spent worrying about where you parked the car before you move onto a quick session of contemplation on the quality of the coffee and the optimum room position to get to the coffee before every other delegate. And before you know it the speaker is wrapping up the session with a quick Q and A.
But shouldn’t the environment match the training objectives?
PSP Training thinks the following are essential;
- Bright rooms with natural light
- Client controlled (not venue controlled) air conditioning and heating
- Free soft drinks always available
- Flexible seating changed to suit the learning
- Super Fast WIFI
- Whiteboards, AV screens and delegate stationary packs
- Free parking onsite
- Catering packages to keep concentration levels high
If all the hygiene elements are right a delegate has the best opportunity to absorb the training and benefit from it. And that means the best ROI.